Diu Fort Quick Facts
|Diu, Daman and Diu (India)
|16th century AD
Diu Fort Overview
India is one of the successful countries of the world where there is a proper and wonderful federal system, although India is divided into 29 states and 7 union territories, but even after being divided into many parts, there is no lack in its unity and its integrity.
The Indian Union Territory of Daman and Diu is famous all over the world for its geographical surroundings, unique culture and wonderful history. Situated in the Arabian Sea, "Diu" is a unique island on which the Diu Fort remains a sign of Portuguese contribution to Indian history.
Diu Fort History
This world famous fort was built in the year 1535 by the Portuguese to protect the Mughals, Gujarat Sultanate and Rajputs from invading Portuguese. The rule of Portuguese started in about 1537 AD which lasted till 1961 AD. Although India achieved Independence in the year 1947, but the Portuguese rule continued for a long time over Goa and many islands.
This island and fort remained under Portuguese control till 1961 as it was a very important trade route to the Arabian Sea. In the year 1534 AD, Bahadur Shah made a peace treaty with the Portuguese due to the threat from the Mughal Emperor Humayun and handed them the Basin Fort (Vasai Fort) and also allowed them to build a single fort in Diu.
बLater Bahadur Shah realized that even the Portuguese were not trustworthy and had started the war, in which he died. Bahadur Shah was succeeded by his nephew Mahmud Shah III. The fort is under the control of the Indian government since the 1960s.
Diu Fort Interesting Facts
- This wonderful fort was built in the year 1535 AD by the Portuguese to protect themselves from the Mughals and Rajputs.
- In the year 1509 AD, a war was going on between Portugal and the armies of four countries, in which the Portuguese tried to annex Diu but they were unsuccessful in this work.
- In the year 1534 AD, the Portuguese signed a treaty of the basin and through which they captured the basin which is now known as Vasai.
- In the year 1961 AD, both this fort and the island were under Portuguese, after which the Portuguese was forced to leave it by the Indian government through Operation "Vijay", at that time there were more than 350 Portuguese soldiers in this fort, Since then, the control of the Government of India has been established on this fort.
- In the year 1538 AD, the Sultan of Gujarat and the Portuguese had expelled the Turks from here, after which the Turks organized their 66 ships and about 20,000 soldiers and attacked this fort in the year 1538 and for some unknown reasons attacked. After that returned back to Egypt.
- During the war between the Portuguese and the Turks in the year 1538, only 40 of the 400 people of the Portuguese garrison survived.
- This fort is one of the largest structures located on Diu, which has surrounded most of its sea coast line, 3 sides of this fort are facing the sea.
- A double moat is situated between the outer and inner walls of this fort, which provides protection to the inner walls and also separates this fort. This fort has been built by cutting sandstone rocks.
- This fort is quite huge, inside which about 3 entrances were constructed. Deep water drains also pass through the walls of this fort, which was first constructed by the Sultan and later by the Portuguese.
- In the main entrance of this fort, there are 5 big windows with stone galleries on the wall right in front of which, out of which there are very beautiful views.
- 1 big light house (light house) is also located at one end of this fort. Which provided protection to the walls of this fort, gateway, arches, ramps and ruins of the forts of the fort.
- There are also 3 huge church in this fort, of which the construction of "St. Francis of Asis" in 1593 AD, "St. Paul Church, Diu" construction between 1601 to 1610 AD and construction of "St. Thomas Church" 1598 Was done in AD.
- The "St. Thomas Church" located in this fort was established in the year 1998. It was converted into a museum (Du Museum) in 1893 which is now an archaeological treasure house. In this, 400 years old wood, ancient sculptures and artefacts have been kept very well.
- A Shiva temple is also located in this fort which is addressed as "Gangeshwar Mahadev". It is believed that this fort was built by 5 Pandava brothers, due to which 5 different sizes of Shivling are found in this temple.