What is Folk Dance?
The Dance which is developed by the common people, which reflects Life and Culture of the people of a certain country or region, is called Folk Dance or Lok Nirtya. These are very simple Dances without any Professional training and are performed with Traditional music.
Importance of Folk Dance
- Folk Dances from the 19th century or earlier that have not been patented.
- The style of these dances is Traditional and not an Innovation created by any one individual.
- Its Dancers are common people and not the elite of society.
- There is no Institution controlling it.
Classification of Folk Dances in India
Though it is not easy to classify the different states of India and their Folk Dances/Lok Nirtya, but in general they can be kept in the following four categories:
- Regional Folk Dances: These are Dances related to a particular region i.e. dances that are found only in certain regions; Like – Garba of Gujarat, Bihu of Assam, etc.
- Dances related to Festivals: The Folk Dance which is performed on Festivals or Religious occasions is called a festival or Religious Folk Dance; Like – Karma dance of Jharkhand.
- Commercial Folk Dances: The Folk Dances whose performance has become a means of earning money are called Commercial Folk Dances; Like – Bhawai dance of Rajasthan, the Terhtali dance.
- Caste-based Folk Dances: In Folk Dances, performed by people of a particular caste are called Caste-based Folk Dances; Like – Lambadi dance in Andhra Pradesh.
List of All Indian States and their Folk Dances:
|State Name||Folk Dance|
|Andhra Pradesh||Ghantamardala, (Ottam Thedal, Mohiniattam, Kummi, Siddhi, Madhuri, Chhadi. Vilasini Natyam, Bhamakalpam, Veeranatyam, Dappu, Tappeta Gullu, Lambadi, Dhimsa, Kolattam. Butta Bommalu.|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Chham, Mask dance (Mukhauta Nritya), War dance, Buiya, Chalo, Wancho, Pasi Kongki, Ponung, Popir, Bardo .|
|Assam||Bihu, Bichhua, Natpuja, Maharas, Kaligopal, Bagurumba, Naga dance, Khel Gopal, Tabal Chongli, Canoe, Jhumura Hobjanai etc.|
|Bihar||Jata-Jatin, Bakho-Bakhain, Panwariya, Sama-Chakwa, Bidesia, Jatra .|
|Chhattisgarh||Gaur Maria, Panthi, Raut Nacha, Pandwani, Vedamati, Kapalik, Chandaini, Bharthari Charit, Goudi, Karma, Jhumar, Dagla, Pali, Tapali, Navrani, Diwari, Mundari, Jhumar.|
|Goa||Fugdi, Dhalo, Kunbi, Dhangar, Mandi, Jhagor, Khol, Dakni, Tarangamel, Shigmo, Ghode, Modni, Samayi nrutya, Jagar, Ranmale, amayi nrutya, Tonnya mell.|
|Gujarat||Garba, Dandiya Ras, Bhavai, Tippani Juriun, Bhavai, Ganpati Bhajan, Panihari|
|Haryana||Jhumar, Phag Dance, Daph, Dhamal, Loor, Gugga, Khor, Gagor .|
|Himachal Pradesh||Kinnauri, Thoda, Jhora, Jhali, Chharhi, Dhaman, Chhapeli, Mahasu, Dangi, Chamba, Thali, Jhainta, Daf, Stick dance .|
|Jharkhand||Karma, Agni, Jhumar, Janani Jhumar, Mardana Jhumar, Paika, Phagua, Chhanu, Sarahul, Jat-Jatin, Karma, Danga, Bidesia, Sohrai, Hunta Dance, Mundari Dance, Sarhul, Barao, Jhitka, Danga, Domkach, Ghora Naach.|
|Karnataka||Yakshagana, Huttari, Suggi, Kunitha, Karga, Lambi, Veergasse, Bhootkola|
|Kerala||Ottam Thulal, Kaikottikali, Tappatikali, Kali Auttam.|
|Madhya Pradesh||Kathak, Tertali, Maanch, Matki, Aada, Khada Nach, Phulpati, Grida Dance, Selalarki, Selabhadoni, Jawara etc.|
|Maharashtra||Lavani, Nakata, Koli, Lezim, Gafa, Dahikala Dasavtar or Bohada, Tamasha, Mauni, Powara, Gouricha .|
|Manipur||Thang Ta, Lai Haraoba, Pung Cholom, Rakhal, Nat Rash, Maha Rash, Raukhat, Dol Cholam, Khamba Thaibi, Nupa Dance, Raslila, Khubak Ishei, Lhou Sha.|
|Meghalaya||Laho, Baala, Ka Shad Suk Mynsiem, Nongkrem,|
|Mizoram||Cheraw Dance, Khuallam, Chailam, Sawlakin, Chawnglaizawn, Zangtalam, Par Lam, Sarlamkai/ Solakia, Tlanglam, Khanatm, Pakhupila, Cherokan|
|Nagaland||Chong, Khaiva, Lim, Nuralim, Bamboo Dance, Temangnetin, Hetaleulee.Rangma, Zeliang, Nsuirolians, Gethinglim|
|Odisha||Ghumara, Ranappa, Ghumara, Chhau, Chadya Dandanata, Savari, Painka, Munari, Dhumra, Jadoor|
|Punjab||Bhangra, Giddha, Daff, Dhaman, Bhand, Naqual.|
|Rajasthan||Ghoomar, Suisini, kalbeliya, Chakri, Ganagor, Jhulan Leela, Jhuma, Suisini, Ghapal, Panihari, Ginad, Kathak etc.|
|Sikkim||Chu Faat, Yak Chaam Sikmari, Singhi Chaam or the Snow Lion, Yak Chaam, Denzong Gnenha, Tashi Yangku, Khukuri Naach, Chutkey Naach, Maruni Dance.|
|Tamil Nadu||Karagam, Kumi, Kolattam, Kavadi, Dappankuthu|
|Telangana||Perini Shivatandavam, Keisabadi|
|Tripura||Hojagiri, Boomani, Bijhu, Cheraw, Hai-Hak, Wangala, Sangrai|
|Uttar Pradesh||Nautanki, Raslila, Kajri, Jhora, Chappeli, Jaita.|
|Uttarakhand||Chappeli, Gadhwali, Kumayuni, Kajari, Jhora, Raslila etc.|
|West Bengal||Purulia Chhau, Alkap, Kathi, Gambhira, Dhali, Jatra, Baul, Marasia, Mahal, Keertan,Santhali Dance, Mundari dance, Gambhira, Gajan, Chaibari Nritya|
List of Folk Dances of Union Territories of India
|State Name||Folk Dance|
|Andaman and Nicobar Islands||Nicobari dance Great Andamanese Dances|
|Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu||Tarpa Dance, Bhawada Dance, Dhol Dance and Tur and Thali Dance|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Kud Dance, Rouf Dance, Dumhal Dance, Hafiza Dance, Bhand Pather, Bacha Nagma, Bhadjas Dance, Hikat Dance|
|Ladakh||Spawo Dance, Shone Dance, Drugpa-Rches, Jabro Dance, Bagstonrches, Lamas Dances, Koshan Dance, Yak Dance, Tukhstanmo|
Now practice related questions and see what you learnt?
- List of All National Symbols of India 🔗
- List of All National Symbols & Sign of India 🔗
- 22 Official Languages of India, Spoken Languages of Indian States 🔗
- List of State Birds in India 2023 [Updated] 🔗