Se Cathedral Quick Facts
|Construction Period||16th Century|
|Construction (Who Built)||By Portuguese|
|Architectural Style||Portuguese Style|
Se Cathedral Overview
St. Cathedral Church located in Goa is the largest church in India. It is one of the most historical churches in the state. Many churches in Goa have also been included in the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. Goa is the smallest state in India according to the area and the fourth-smallest state in population. The smallest state of the country is famous for its beautiful sea shore and Architecture all over the world.
Se Cathedral History
It is believed that this grand dome was built by Sikander Lodhi, the most famous ruler of the Lodhi dynasty in the 14th century AD. It is believed by some historians that this dome is the oldest dome in dome of any building located in Delhi. The big dome was the first such mosque in Delhi that was built in a particular type of style, and when seen for the first time, the rulers of the Lodhi dynasty have a sense of high knowledge of the Artwork, Carvings, and Architecture.
Se Cathedral Interesting Facts
- This grand and historical dome was built in about 1490 AD by the rulers of the Lodhi dynasty, some historians believe that it was rebuilt in about 1494 AD by the famous Lodhi dynasty ruler Sikandar Lodhi.
- The famous Jama Masjid located in Delhi has a mihrab, in which according to the Islamic lunar calendar, the construction period of this dome is said to be around 900 after Hijri.
- This dome is located in the Lodhi Garden, where apart from this 3 major structures are also present, which include Sikandar Lodhi's tomb, Shisha Gumbad and Muhammad Shah's tomb etc.
- This dome is located about 400 meters from the tomb of Sikandar Lodhi in the southwest and 75 meters from the Shisha Gumbad in the south.
- Bada Gumbad and its surrounding structures have been constructed on a platform 4 meters high, which is covered over an area of about 1,050 square meters.
- The total area of the ground floor of Bada Gumbad excluding the mosque and guest house is about 361 square meters.
- The height of this monument including the dome is about 29 meters and its walls are about 12 meters high. The length of this big dome is about 20 meters and the width is about 20 meters.
- The north and south walls of this monument have oriel windows and slender minarets, which have been used extensively in later architectural styles.
- This dome was developed by Sikandar Lodhi as a mosque and "guests' house" consisting of a small structure consisting of about 5 roof bays (small domes), of which 3 smaller domes are included in its mosque structure.
- Looking at this famous dome and its surrounding structure, the British government had developed the area around them as a park. It was inaugurated on 9 April 1936 by Lady Willingdon, wife of the Viceroy Lord Willingdon, due to which it was also known as Lady Willingdon Park.
- India became completely independent in the year 1947, after which the original name of this park was changed to "Lady Willingdon Park" to Lodhi Garden.