36th Surajkund International Crafts Mela
The Vice President of India Jagdeep Dhankhar inaugurated the 36th Surajkund International Crafts Mela in Faridabad, Haryana. The objective of the fair is to encourage groups of skilled artisans who used indigenous technology but were troubled by the problem of cheap machine-made imitations. The fair will be organized from 3 to 19 February 2023. The theme state for the year 2023 is North Eastern Region (NER). The Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) is the partner country for the Surajkund International Crafts Fair this year.
Highlights of The Fair
- The Surajkund International Crafts Mela, along with strengthening the links of unity in the diversity of the country, also takes forward the concept of 'Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam'.
- Shanghai Cooperation Organization is the participating nation in this fair this year.
- This year more than 25 countries are participating in the fair.
- The eight north-eastern states of India are the theme states of this fair. These include
- Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura.
- These states will come together to showcase their arts, handicrafts and cuisines on a single platform.
- The Surajkund Mela is organized by the Authority and Haryana Tourism in collaboration with the Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs.
- It showcases the richness and diversity of India's handicrafts, handlooms and cultural fabric and is the largest craft fair in the world.
- A large number of renowned national and international folk artistes and cultural groups perform in both the Chaupals, an open-air theatre, located in the Mela premises.
- Enticing cultural programs are also organized here every evening at the main chaupal.