79th Chess Tournament
The 2022/2023 open chess tournament ran in Sweden from 27 December to 5 January and brought together 136 players representing 29 national federations, coached by RB Ramesh. To become a Grand Master, a player must secure three Grand Master status and cross a live rating of 2,500 Elo points. Pranesh won eight games and secured a full point ahead of IM Kan Kukuksaari (Sweden) and GM Nikita Meshkovs (Latvia).
Pranesh M lives in a small village in Tamil Nadu and is 16 years old. His mother works in Anganwadi and his father works in a clothes shop. Pranesh M is now the starting leader of the FIDE circuit with 6.8 circuit points that he got for this win. Whoever accumulates the most points by the end of the year qualifies for the 2024 FIDE candidates.
- The 16-year-old Pranesh crossed the 2500 rating mark and became a Grandmaster after completing his three strategies ahead of the Rilton Cup.
- 136 players from 29 federations participated in this tournament in which Pranesh topped, these players are trained by coach RB Ramesh.
- M Pranesh won his first norm at the 18th Delhi GM Open in January 2020, followed by his second norm at the Sunway Sieges International Chess Festival in Spain in December 2021.
- He won the third norm in the Asian Continental Chess Championship in November last year.
- Nineteen-year-old Kaustav Chatterjee recently became the country's 78th
- Grandmaster during the National Senior Chess Championship.