International Kite Festival
Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel inaugurated the International Kite Festival 2023 at Manpa on 08 January. The event is being organized by Gujarat Tourism on the theme of 'One Earth, One Family, One Future'. During the Kite Festival, all participants will perform in the parade wearing T-shirts and caps with the G20 logo. The skies of Gujarat will be decorated with special kites in the shape of the G20 Presidency logo of India. 65 kite fliers from 14 states of the country and 660 international kite fliers from different parts of Gujarat are also participating in the event. Bhupendra Patel himself will inaugurate this festival being organized after two years of lock down. The previous edition was held in 2020 with 153 videos from 43 countries.
The International Kite Festival in Gujarat is considered to be one of the grandest festivals of the state. Celebrated on the occasion of Makar Sankranti, this festival lasts for about eight days every year. The first International Kite Festival was held in Gujarat in 1989, in which master kite makers from Malaysia, Indonesia and the United States participated.
Highlights of Kite Festival:-
- During the entire week of the festival, the markets are decorated with different types of kites, giving people ample choices.
- The 68 countries participating in the event include Australia, Canada, France, Russia, Germany, Greece, Israel, Egypt, Colombia, Denmark, New Zealand, Indonesia, Italy, Mexico, South Africa, Belgium, Bahrain, Iraq and Malaysia.
- Special selfie booths are made for the people coming to the International Kite Festival.
- A pavilion showcasing the history of kites and kite flying traditions from around the world has been set up at the International Kite Festival.
- During the International Kite Festival, attendees will also witness several cultural programs in the evening.