Bara Gumbad Quick Facts
|Place||Lodhi Garden New Delhi (India)|
|Build in||1490 AD|
|Build by||Lodhi Dynasty|
|Architectural style||Mixed form of Islamic and Hindu architecture|
Bara Gumbad Overview
New Delhi, the capital of India, is famous all over the world for its political environment and historical monuments. Live paintings of Indian history can be seen easily in Delhi because this capital within itself
Bara Gumbad History
It is believed that this magnificent dome was built by Sikandar Lodhi, the most famous ruler of the Lodhi dynasty in the 14th century AD. It is believed by some historians that this dome is the oldest in the dome of any building located in Delhi. The Bada Gumbad was the first mosque in Delhi to be built in a particular style, which upon first sight gives a sense of high knowledge of the Lodhi dynasty rulers' art, carvings and architecture.
Bara Gumbad Interesting Facts
- This grand and historical dome was built in about 1490 AD by the rulers of the Lodhi dynasty, some historians believe that it was rebuilt in about 1494 AD by the famous Lodhi dynasty ruler Sikandar Lodhi.
- The Famous Jama Masjid located in Delhi has a mihrab, in which according to the Islamic lunar calendar, the construction period of this dome is said to be around 900 after Hijri.
- This Gumbad is located in the Lodhi Garden, where apart from this there are 3 major structures, which include Sikandar Lodhi's tomb, Shisha Gumbad and Muhammad Shah's tomb etc.
- This Gumbad is located about 400 meters from the tomb of Sikandar Lodhi in the southwest and 75 meters from the Shisha Gumbad in the south.
- Bada Gumbad and its surrounding structures are built on a platform 4 meters high, which is covered over an area of about 1,050 square meters.
- The total area of the ground floor of Bada Gumbad, excluding the mosque and guest house, is about 361 square meters.
- The height of this monument including the dome is about 29 meters and its walls are about 12 meters high. The length of this big dome is about 20 meters and the width is about 20 meters.
- The north and south walls of this monument have oriel windows and slender minarets, which have been used extensively in later architectural styles.
- This dome was developed by Sikandar Lodhi as a mosque and "Guests House" consisting of a small structure consisting of about 5 roof bays (small domes), of which 3 smaller domes are included in its mosque structure.
- In view of this famous dome and its surrounding structure, the British government developed the area around them as a park. It was inaugurated on 9 April 1936 by Lady Willingdon, wife of the Viceroy Lord Willingdon, due to which it was also known as Lady Willingdon Park.
- India became completely independent in the year 1947, after which the original name of this park was changed to "Lady Willingdon Park" to Lodhi Garden.