Major Important Boundaries of the World International Lines:
Each country sets a certain boundary to protect its country's border. Crossing this border is considered an intrusion into the country's border. One advantage of determining these boundaries is that countries know how far they have to extend their state boundaries. Some of such major limitations are described in this article.
World's main international boundary lines:
- Durand Line: The 2,640 km long boundary line on the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan is called Durand Line. This line is the result of an agreement reached between British India and Afghan representatives in 1893. The line was named after Sir Mortimer Durand, the then Foreign Minister of British India.
- McMahon Line: 700 kms. This long line was prepared in 1914 by Sir McMahon (Britain) to settle the dispute over the India-China border.
- Radcliffe Line: The Radcliffe Line demarcates the boundaries between India and Pakistan. This range is 3310 km long. This boundary was determined by Sir Radcliffe on 15 August 1947.
- Hindenburg Line: This line is situated between Germany and Poland. The German army returned from this line during the First World War.
- Mannerheim Line: The Mannerheim Line is the line between Russia and Finland.
- Maginot Line: The Maginot Line is the border line drawn by France between Germany and France. This line is made up of concrete, iron etc. It was constructed between 1929 and 1938.
- 17th Parallel: The 17th Parallel was located between North Vietnam and South Vietnam. Before the unification of Vietnam, it used to divide the country into two parts. This line is no longer there because Vietnam is now united.
- 20th Parallel (20th Parallel): The 20th Parallel is located between Libya and Sudan. It is located at 20th northern latitude which is used as the border between Sudan and Libya.
- 22nd Parallel: 22nd Parallel is located between Egypt and Sudan. The 22nd latitude north of the equator forms a large part of the Sudan-Egypt border.
- 24th Parallel: The 24th Parallel Line is located between India and Pakistan near Kutch. According to Pakistan, this line determines the border between India and Pakistan, but India does not accept this line.
- 25th Parallel: 25th Parallel is located between Mauritania and Mali. The northernmost part of the Mali-Mauritania border is marked using this line.
- 31st Parallel: 31st Parallel is located between Iran and Iraq. The 31st northern latitude marks the border between Iraq and Iran. It also demarcates the border between the US states of Louisiana and Mississippi.
- 38th Parallel Line (38th Parallel): The 38th parallel line divides North Korea and South Korea into two parts.
- 1410 West Longitude Line: 1410 West Longitude Line is the boundary line between Alaska (USA) and Canada.
- 49th Parallel: The 49th parallel line divides North America and Canada into two parts.
- Order-Neisse Line: The Odernisse Line is located between East Germany and Poland and was established after the Second World War.
- Siegfried Line: The Siegfried Line is between Germany and France and was built by Germany.
Now practice related questions and see what you learnt?