What is Parakh?
The objective of the Parikh regulator is to establish assessment guidelines for all boards to help remove disparities in scores of students enrolled with different state boards. As per the expectations of National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) and State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT), this initiative will eliminate all bad educational practices. Like cramming, fear of maths etc.
- It has been set up within the Education Survey Division of NCERT.
- Parakh has been launched as a part of the implementation of the National Education Policy (NEP) 2020.
- It envisages a standard-setting body to advise school boards about new assessment patterns and the latest research, and to promote co-operation between them.
- Parakh will work in three major assessment areas which include group assessment, school based assessment and examination reforms.
- It will work on parity across recognized school boards in India with respect to aspects among learners.
- Parakh will be responsible for conducting large scale events including the National Achievement Survey (NAS).
- The center will also manage India's participation in international assessments such as the Program for International Student Assessment (PISA), Trainees in International
- Mathematics and Science Studies (TIMSS) and Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS)