NITI Aayog also known as National Institute for Transforming India (National Institute for Transforming India) is a new commission set up by the Government of India which is working in place of Planning Commission. The Commission is functioning as a "Think Tank" of the Government of India, due to which it provides directional and policy dynamics to the Government of India from time to time.
Information about NITI Aayog
|1 January 2015
|Shri Narendra Modi (The Immediate Prime Minister of India)
|Current vice president
|Dr. Rajeev Kumar
History of NITI Aayog
The history of NITI Aayog is linked to the Planning Commission. After the change of power in India in the year 2014, the BJP government came, after which Shri Narendra Modi started working as the Prime Minister of India. NITI Aayog was formed on 1 January 2015, accepting the proposal of a cabinet, after Narendra Modi had announced to bring a new institution for the nation from the ramparts of the Red Fort on the day of India's Independence Day on 15 August 2014.
Composition of NITI Aayog
The composition of this commission is quite different from that of the Planning Commission, in this commission the Chief Ministers of the state and experts from the private sector have been given a more important role, which will strengthen the federal structure. The composition of this commission is as follows-
- Chairman:- The Prime Minister of India is the chairman of NITI Aayog and at present its immediate chairman is "Shri Narendra Modi".
- Vice-Chairman:- The Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog is appointed by the Prime Minister of India. Its first Vice-Chairman was “Arvind Pangadia” who served as its Vice-Chairman till August 2017 after which “Dr. Rajiv Kumar” was appointed as the Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog.
- Governing Council:- All the Chief Ministers of India, Governors and administrators of Union Territories have been included in the Governing Council of NITI Aayog.
- Special Invitee Members:- Experts and working people having knowledge of the relevant field of work, will be nominated by the Prime Minister as Special Invitees. Presently "Nitin Gadkari", "Thawarchand Gehlot" and "Prakash Javadekar" are working as special invitees.
- Ex-officio Members:- Four Union Ministers act as ex-officio members of the NITI Aayog of India. Presently "1 Rajnath Singh", "2 Arun Jaitley", "3 Piyush Goyal" and "4 Radha Mohan Singh" are serving as ex-officio members.
- Whole Time Members:- Their number may be five. Presently "Bibek Debroy", "Vijay Kumar Saraswat" and "Ramesh Chand" are its full time members.
- Part-time members:- Maximum two ex-officio members from leading university research institutes and related institutions, part-time members shall be on turn basis.
- CEO of NITI Aayog:- Secretary level officer of the Center, who will be appointed for a fixed tenure, will be its CEO. Presently its CEO is "Amitabh Kant".
- Union Public Service Commission ( UPSC ) Chairman, Functions and Role 🔗
- List of Important Committees and Commissions in India 🔗
- Chairperson of National Commission for Women from 1992 to 2023 🔗
- Election Commission of India History, Functions and Main Powers 🔗
- List of Finance Commissions Chairman and Functions 🔗