World Biodiversity Day Quick Facts
|Event Name||World Biodiversity Day ()|
|Event Started||December 22, 2000|
|Event Level||International Day|
|Observed by||United Nations General Assembly|
World Biodiversity Day Brief
International Biodiversity Day is celebrated all over the world on 22 May.
World Biodiversity Day History
On 20 December 2000, the United Nations General Assembly declared 22 May as the International Day of Biodiversity. The main objective of UNO behind this was that all the people in the world should be made aware of the biodiversity so that the world's biodiversity can be maintained and protected.
World Biodiversity Day Theme(s)
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2022 is "Building a shared future for all life"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2021 was "We're part of the solution #ForNature"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2020 was "Our solutions are in nature"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2019 was "Our Biodiversity, Our Food, Our Health"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2018 was "Celebrating 25 Years of Action for Biodiversity"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2017 was "Biodiversity and Sustainable Tourism"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2016 was "Mainstreaming Biodiversity; Sustaining People and their Livelihoods"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2015 was "Convention on Biological Diversity"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2014 was "Island Biodiversity"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2013 was "Water and Biodiversity"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2012 was "Marine Biodiversity"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2011 was "Forest Biodiversity"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2010 was "Biodiversity, Development and poverty reduction"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2009 was "Invasive Alien Species"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2008 was "Biodiversity and Agriculture"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2007 was "Biodiversity and Climate Change"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2006 was "Protect Biodiversity in Drylands"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2005 was "Biodiversity: Life Insurance for our Changing World"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2004 was "Biodiversity: Food, Water and Health for All"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2003 was "Biodiversity and poverty alleviation – challenges for sustainable development"
- The Theme of World Biodiversity Day 2000 was "Dedicated to forest biodiversity"
More info about World Biodiversity Day
What is Biodiversity?
Biodiversity is the amount of variation of life forms in a given ecosystem, biome, or an entire planet. Biodiversity refers to the health of a biological system. Life on Earth today exists in the form of millions of distinct biological species.
India is also included in the 17 countries with the richest biodiversity in the world, in which about 70 percent of the world's biodiversity exists. The other 16 countries are Australia, Congo, Madagascar, South Africa, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Peru, USA and Venezuela. Only 2.4 percent of the entire world is in India, but about 5 percent of the world's known fauna resides here.
According to the surveys conducted by 'Botanical Survey of India' and 'Zoological Survey of India', about 49,000 plant species and 89,000 animal species are found in India. India ranks tenth in the world on the basis of plant diversity, eleventh on the basis of area limited species and sixth on the basis of the origin and diversity of crops.
Types of Biodiversity
Biodiversity provides information about the interrelationships of organisms and ecosystems in nature. Biodiversity The interactions between organisms, species and useful ecosystems give us many important products, because genes are the components of species, species of ecosystems. There are three types of biodiversity-
- Genetic diversity refers to variations in organisms of the same species.
- Species diversity, in which organisms of the same species are very similar to each other.
- Ecological diversity refers to the difference between habitats and biodiversity.
Biodiversity of India
India is one of the twelve identified mega biodiversity centers in the world. Of the 18 identified biological hotspots in the world, India has two eastern Himalayas and the Western Ghats. The Government of India has established 18 biosphere reserves across the country that protect the natural habitat of fauna and often serve to preserve one or more national parks and sanctuaries with buffer zones set up for economic uses.
Important Days of May Month - (National Days and International Days):
|Day||Event Name - Event Level|
|01 May||International Labor Day - International Day|
|02 May||World Comedy Day - International Day|
|03 May||World Press Freedom Day - International Day|
|08 May||World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day - International Day|
|11 May||National Technology Day - National Day|
|12 May||International Nurses Day - International Day|
|15 May||World Family Day - International Day|
|17 May||World Information Society Day - International Day|
|18 May||International Museum Day - International Day|
|21 May||Anti-Terrorism Day - International Day|
|22 May||World Biodiversity Day - International Day|
|31 May||World No Tobacco Day - International Day|
|मई माह का दूसरा रविवार of May||Mothers Day - International Day|
|मई माह का पहला मंगलवार of May||World Asthma Day - International Day|
World Biodiversity Day FAQs:
World Biodiversity Day is observed every year on 22 May.
Yes, World Biodiversity Day is an International Day that is celebrated every year on May all over the World.
World Biodiversity Day started on December 22, 2000.
World Biodiversity Day is observed every year by United Nations General Assembly.