World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day Quick Facts
|World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day ()
World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day Brief
Every year 'World Red Cross Day' is celebrated on 08 May all over the world. This day is celebrated to commemorate the birthday of Jean Henri Dunant, the founder of the Red Cross and the first Nobel Laureate for Peace. World Red Cross Day is also celebrated as International Volunteer Day.
World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day Objective
- To spread the Red Cross movement to all countries
- Acting as a custodian of the fundamental principles of the Red Cross
- Informing existing committees of the constitution of new Red Cross committees
- Persuading all civilized states to accede to the Genoa convention
- To condemn its violations.
- pressuring governments to make laws and ordering the military to stop such violations.
- To create an international agency to assist prisoners and other victims of war.
- To maintain captive camps, to bring satisfaction and comfort to prisoners of war and to try to improve their condition using all available influences
- Acting as a well-wisher mediator between governments, nations and sub-states in times of peace and war
- To do the humane act of relief from suffering caused by war sickness or objection, or to help others to do so.
More info about World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day
International Red Cross Committee:
The scope of the functions of the International Red Cross Committee will be seen from some examples. The creation of an independent Red Cross Committee from the very beginning and the approval of the members of the Genoa session made it a quick success. For the benefit of French and German wounded and sick soldiers, an information agency was formed in Basel in 1870 AD.
When was the Red Cross established in India?
India's relationship with the Red Cross dates back to the First World War. The Indian Red Cross Society was formed in India in the year 1920 under the Parliamentary Act, since then the volunteers of the Red Cross have been rendering their services selflessly in various types of disasters.
At that time one crore rupees, which was donated for this institution, became its original money. By this time it has established 18 provincial institutions and 412 district branches. From starvation in Bengal to many natural disasters, it has helped.
Important facts about Red Cross:
- Red Cross is an NGO. Which was established in the year 1863.
- Its main purpose is to look after the sick, wounded and prisoners of war.
- It is headquartered in Geneva, Switzerland.
- The Indian Red Cross Society was formed in the year 1920.
- The Red Cross played an important role in World War I and World War II, helping wounded soldiers and civilians.
- Due to these actions of the Red Cross, this institution was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in the year 1917.
- At present, the Red Cross organization is doing its work in about 186 countries.
- In the year 1994, the Red Cross Act was amended in which the ex-officio President, His Excellency the President and the Secretary to the Union Health Minister were made.
|Event Name - Event Level
|International Labor Day - International Day
|World Comedy Day - International Day
|World Press Freedom Day - International Day
|World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day - International Day
|National Technology Day - National Day
|International Nurses Day - International Day
|World Family Day - International Day
|World Information Society Day - International Day
|International Museum Day - International Day
|Anti-Terrorism Day - International Day
|World Biodiversity Day - International Day
|World No Tobacco Day - International Day
|मई माह का दूसरा रविवार of May
|Mothers Day - International Day
|मई माह का पहला मंगलवार of May
|World Asthma Day - International Day