World Breastfeeding Week Quick Facts
|World Breastfeeding Week ()
|01 August 1992
World Breastfeeding Week Brief
World Breastfeeding Week is celebrated every year in the first week of August (August 01 to August 07) in more than 170 countries to improve the health of children and encourage breastfeeding around the world.
World Breastfeeding Week History
World Breastfeeding Week was first observed in 1992 by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) and is now celebrated in over 120 countries including UNICEF, WHO and their partners, individuals, organizations and governments. WABA was formed on 14 February 1991 with the goal of re-establishing a global breastfeeding culture and providing support for breastfeeding everywhere.
World Breastfeeding Week Objective
The purpose of this day is to highlight the importance of breastfeeding and spread awareness among the people. Breastfeeding is considered to be the cornerstone of better health of the baby. It is worth noting that the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India has started the program 'MAA: Mother's Absolute Affection' at the national level to promote breastfeeding.
World Breastfeeding Week Theme(s)
- The theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2021 is "Protect breastfeeding: a shared responsibility".
- Theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2020 - "Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet"
- World Breastfeeding Week 2019 Theme - "Empower Parents, Enable Breastfeeding."
- Theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2018 - "Breastfeeding - Foundations of Life"
- Theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2017 - "Sustaining Breastfeeding Together"
- The theme of World Breastfeeding Week 2016 is "Breastfeeding: A Way to Sustainable Development".
More info about World Breastfeeding Week
Benefits of Breastfeeding for the baby:
- Breast milk contains sufficient amount of proteins, fats, calories, lactose, vitamins, iron, minerals, water and enzymes required by the baby.
- Mother's milk is quick and easy to digest.
- It increases the immunity of the child, which protects him from many types of infections in the future.
- It plays an important role in the development of the child's brain.
- It is economical and free from infection.
- Breastfeeding enhances the emotional bond between the baby and the mother.
Other essential information about Breastfeeding:
- Mother's milk is the best and complete nutritional food for the baby.
- Breastfeeding is the best natural way to feed the baby.
- The WHO (World Health Organization) has recommended that mother's milk containing yellow and thick colostrum is the best diet for a newborn baby. The baby should start breastfeeding within 1 hour immediately after birth.
- The baby must be breastfed till the age of 6 months.
- The baby should not be given any commercial milk such as dry milk or artificial food, drinks or even water needed for the baby in the first six months.
- Breastfeeding should continue even if the child or mother is ill.
- The mother should continue to breastfeed for 2 years or more.
- Drinking bottle milk can be harmful for your baby. This could be the cause of loose stools in your baby.
- The baby should start giving solid food from the age of 6 months.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol during breastfeeding. This can be harmful to "you and your baby."
- Maintain proper hygiene before or after breastfeeding.
- Breastfeed the baby as needed or 8 times in 24 hours.
|Event Name - Event Level
|Hiroshima Day - International Day
|Dengue prevention day - International Day
|World Elephant Day - International Day
|International Youth Day - International Day
|World Organ Donation Day - International Day
|Independence Day: India - National Day
|World Photography Day - International Day
|World Mosquito Day - International Day
|Goodwill Day - National Day
|International Women's Equality Day - International Day
|National Sports Day - National Day
|International Small Industry Day - International Day
|World Sanskrit Day - International Day
|अगस्त माह का पहला रविवार of August
|International Friendship Day - International Day
|अगस्त माह का पहला सप्ताह of August
|World Breastfeeding Week - International Day