Andorra has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Andorra and important events related to Andorra history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Andorra Country Profile
|Capital||Andorra la Vella|
Andorra claims that it is the last independent survivor of Marca Hispanica, the buffer states created by Charlemagne to keep the Islamic Moors from advancing into Islamic France. In 1933, France annexed Andorra as a result of social unrest before the election. On July 12, 1934, an adventurer named Boris Skosref issued a proclamation in Urgel, declaring himself Boris I, Prince of Andorra, simultaneously declaring war on the Bishop of Urgel. He was arrested by the Spanish authorities on 20 July and eventually expelled from Spain. Andorra formally became a parliamentary democracy in May 1993, following the approval of a new constitution by a popular referendum in May 1993. And a new constitution retained the French and Spanish co-princes, although with fewer and narrowly defined powers.
Andorra is a small, landlocked country in southwestern Europe, located in the eastern Pyrenees mountain range and bordered by Spain and France. At an area of 468 sq km, it is the sixth smallest country in Europe and also the largest part of the European microstate. Andorra mainly consists of rugged mountains, Coma Pedrosa at 2,942 meters, and Andorra has an average elevation of 1,996 meters. These are dissected into a Y shape by three narrow valleys that join one as the main stream, the Gran Valira River, leaving the country for Spain.
Tourism, the mainstay of Andorra's small, well-to-do economy, accounts for about 80% of GDP. An estimated 10.2 million tourists travel annually, attracted by the duty-free status of Andorra and its summer and winter resorts. A main source of income in Andorra is tourism from ski resorts totaling over 175 km of ski. The game brings in over 7 million visitors annually and around 340 million euros per year, since 2007 currently maintaining 2,000 direct and 10,000 indirect jobs.
The historical and official language is Catalan, a Romance language.
Andorra Important Facts
- Andorra is the sixth smallest country in Europe, with an area of 468 km2 (181 sq mi).
- Andorra borders France in the north and Spain in the south.
- In 1958, Andorra declared peace with Germany.
- After the approval of the new constitution in May 1993, Andorra formally became a parliamentary democracy.
- Andorra is a mountainous country, more than 90% of it is made up of mountains, forests, rivers, lakes and grasslands.
- Being a hilly country, only about 5% of the land in Andorra is arable.
- There is not a single airport in Andorra, if you want to go to Andorra then you have to go by road to France or Spain.
- Catalan is the official language of Andorra, although Spanish, Portuguese and French are also commonly spoken.
- The currency name of Andorra is Euro.
- According to the World Bank, the total population of Andorra in 2016 was 77,281.
- The people of Andorra are ranked fourth in the world in terms of maximum living. According to the report released in 2017 by the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation, the average age per person in Andorra is 81.2 years.
- In 1993, Andorra became a member of the United Nations and the Council of Europe.
- The population of Andorra is predominantly Catholic (88.2%).
- Under the Education Law of Andorra, children between the ages of 6 and 16 are required to have full-time education. Education up to secondary level is provided by the government in the country for free.
- In 1976, Andorra participated in the Olympic Games for the first time. Andorra also participates in every Winter Olympic Games since 1976.
Andorra Important History Events
- 25 september 1939 - Versailles Peace Treaty forgot to include Andorra, so Andorra and Germany finally sign an official treaty ending WW I
Populated Cities of Andorra
Andorra, Ordino, La Massana, Canillo, Encamp, Sant Julia de Loria, Escaldes-Engordany,
2 Neighbour countries of Andorra
France [L] , Spain [L] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)