Belize has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Belize and important events related to Belize history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Belize Country Profile
|Founder||George Cadle Price|
European contact began in 1502 when Christopher Columbus sailed along the Gulf of Honduras. European exploration began in 1638 by English settlers. This period was marked by both Spain and Britain, until Britain defeated Spain at the Battle of St. George KA (1798). It became a British colony in 1840, known as British Honduras, and in 1862 Crown Colony. It gained independence from the United Kingdom on 21 September.
Belize, formerly British Honduras, is an independent country on the east coast of Central America. Belize has Mexico to the north, Guatemala to the south and west, and the Caribbean Sea to the east. Its mainland is approximately 290 km (180 mi) long and 110 km (68 mi) wide. Belize has an area of 22,800 square kilometers (8,800 square miles) and a population of 368,310 (2015). It is the country with the lowest population density in Central America. The country's population growth rate of 1.87% per year (2015) is the highest in the Western Hemisphere apart from this region.
The expansionary monetary and fiscal policies of the ruling government in Belize, initiated in September 1998, led to GDP growth rates of 6.4% in 1999 and 10.5% in 2000. Growth rates declined in 2001 to 3% due to the global recession and severe storm damage for agriculture, fisheries and tourism. Growth was at 3.8% in 2005. Major concerns continue to be a rapidly expanding trade deficit and foreign debt. A major short-term objective remains poverty reduction with the help of international donors.
Belize is the only country in Central America with English as the official language. Also, English is the primary language of public education, government and most media outlets. About half of Belizeans, regardless of ethnicity, mostly speak an English-based Creole known as Belize Creole (or Creole in Belize Creole).
Belize Important Facts
- Belize is an independent nation located to the east of Central America.
- Belize is bordered by the Caribbean Sea to the east, Guatemala to the south and west, and Mexico to the north.
- Belize was made independent by the United Kingdom (UK) on 21 September 1981.
- Belize got its name in 1973, before that it was called as British Honduras.
- The total area of Belize is 22,966 sq km. (8,867 square miles).
- The official language of Belize is English.
- The name of the currency of Belize is Belize Dollar.
- According to the World Bank, the total population of Belize in 2016 was 3.67 lakhs.
- The religion of most people in Belize is Christian and a large part of the population is also an atheist.
- The most important ethnic groups in Belize are the Mestizo, Creole, Mayan, Garifuna and White.
- The highest peak in Belize is Victoria Peak, which has a height of 1,120 meters.
- The longest river of Belize is the New River, also known as Rio Nuevo, with a length of 132 km.
- Belize is a parliamentary constitutional monarchy based on the British parliamentary system that is governed by Queen Elizabeth II, Queen of England.
- The tallest building in Belize is the Caana, which is actually a pyramid of a Mayan civilization, with a height of 141 feet.
Belize Important History Events
- 25 September 1981 - The Central American country Belize joins the United Nations.
Populated Cities of Belize
Corozal, Punta Gorda, Belize City, Orange Walk, El Cayo, Belmopan, Dangriga,
3 Neighbour countries of Belize
Guatemala [LM] , Honduras [M] , Mexico [LM] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)