Honduras has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Honduras and important events related to Honduras history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Honduras Country Profile
Honduras was home to many important Mesoamerican cultures, especially the Maya before Spanish colonialism in the sixteenth century. Spanish introduced Roman Catholic and now the dominant Spanish language, as well as many customs that blended with indigenous culture. Honduras became independent in 1821 and has been a republic since then, although it has endured much social conflict and political instability, and remains one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere. In 1960, the northern part of the Mosquito Coast was moved from Nicaragua to Honduras by the International Court of Justice.
The northern coast of Honduras lies south through the Gulf of Fonseca, bordering the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Honduras mainly consists of mountains, with narrow plains along the coasts. A large undeveloped Terai forest, La Mosquitia lies to the northeast, and the heavily populated Terai Sula Valley to the northwest. La Mosquitia is a UNESCO world-heritage site Río Platno Biosphere Reserve along the Coco River, which divides Honduras from Nicaragua.
The World Bank classifies Honduras as a lower middle-income nation. The country's per capita income is around US $ 600, making it one of the lowest in North America. In 2010, 50% of the population was living below the poverty line. As of 2016, more than 66% were living below the poverty line. Economic growth has averaged 7% over the last few years, one of the highest rates in Latin America (2010). Despite this, Honduras has seen the lowest growth among all Central American countries.
Spanish is the official, national language, spoken by almost all Hondurans. In addition to Spanish, many native languages are spoken in some small communities. Other languages spoken by some include the Honduran sign language and Bay Island Creole English.
Honduras Important Facts
- Honduras is officially called the Republic of Honduras It is located in Central America.
- Honduras borders Honduras with the Caribbean Sea to the north, El Salvador to the southwest, Guatemala to the west, the Gulf of Fonseca to the Pacific Ocean to the south, and Nicaragua to the southeast.
- Honduras was discovered by Christopher Columbus on 14 August 1502.
- Honduras gained independence from Spain on 15 September 1821 and the First Mexican Empire on 1 July 1823 and was declared a Republic of Honduras by Central America on 1 July 1823.
- The total area of Honduras is 112,492 sq km. (43,433 square miles).
- The official language of Honduras is Spanish.
- The currency of Honduras is named Lempira.
- According to the World Bank, the total population of Honduras in 2016 was 91.1 lakh.
- In Honduras, the religion of most people is Christian.
- The most important ethnic groups in Honduras are mestizoa, Amerindian, black and white.
- The highest mountain in Honduras is Cerro Las Minas, which has a height of 2,870 meters.
- The longest river of Honduras is the Cangrejal River, which has a length of 25 km.
- The largest lake in Honduras is Lake Yojoa, which is 79 square kilometers. Spreads over an area of.
- The national animal of Honduras is the white-tailed dee.
- The national bird of Honduras is the Scarlet Macaw.
Honduras Important History Events
- 08 march 1576 - A letter to King Philip II of Spain contained the first European mention of the Mayan ruins of Copán in modern Honduras.
- 15 September 1821 - Central American countries Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua gained independence.
- 28 June 1895 - The Central American Union of El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua was formed.
- 11 September 1919 - The US Navy invaded Honduras.
- 19 January 1921 - Central American countries Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador signed the agreement.
- 18 september 1974 - Hurricane Fifi struck Honduras, destroying 182 towns andvillages in the first 24 hours, and ultimately causing over 8,000deaths.
- 19 September 1974 - In Honduras, 5000 people died due to the havoc of hurricane Fifi.
- 04 February 1976 - A massive earthquake in the American countries of Guatemala and Honduras killed 22,000 people.
- 08 december 2009 - The head of the anti drug trafficking unit in Honduras, Julian Aristides Gonzalez has been killed by unidentified gunmen.
- 15 February 2012 - A massive fire killed 358 people in the Comayagua prison in the Central American country of Honduras.
Populated Cities of Honduras
Choluteca, Trujillo, Tegucigalpa, Nueva Ocotepeque, Gracias, Roatan, Comayagua, San Pedro Sula, La Esperanza, Puerto Lempira, Nacaome, Brus Laguna, Juticalpa, Santa Rosa de Copan, Yuscaran, La Paz, Yoro, Santa Barbara, La Ceiba, Yoro,
8 Neighbour countries of Honduras
Belize [M] , Cuba [M] , El Salvador [LM] , Guatemala [LM] , Jamaica [M] , Mexico [M] , Nicaragua [LM] , United Kingdom [M] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)