Paraguay has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Paraguay and important events related to Paraguay history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Paraguay Country Profile
The Republic was named after the Paraguay River that flowed from the northern part of the country to the Ksini region. The Republic was named after the Paraguay River that flowed from the northern part of the country to the Ksini region. Paraguay was involved in a series of battles between its neighbors, Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay for many years. In a three coalition war that lasted for five years. In the 1930s it fought the Chaco Wars against Bolivia where it was victorious. Paraguay was able to reestablish its authority in the Chaco region, but had to relinquish additional territory as part of the peace deal. In 2008, former Bishop Fernando Lugo won the presidential election with an overwhelming majority, ending the conservative party's rule in the country for more than 60 consecutive years.
Paraguay is divided into two different geographical regions. The eastern region is the Reggio Oriental and the western region, officially known as Western Paraguay (Region Occidental) and also Chaco. The overall climate ranges from subtropical to tropical. Like most of the land in the region, Paraguay has only moist and dry periods. Winds play a major role in influencing Paraguay's weather: between October and March, warm winds blow from the Amazon basin in the north, while cool winds from the Andes come in the period between May and August.
Paraguay is considered a developing economy. As of 2007, the country had registered a gross domestic product (GDP) of approximately US $ 4,000 per person, making it the second poorest country in South America. Of the estimated population of more than two and a half million, about 35% are considered poor, although the capital city of Asuncion is considered the cheapest city in the world to live.
Paraguay is a bilingual nation. Spanish and Guarani are both official languages. The Guarani language is a notable mark of indigenous Guarani culture which is permanent in Paraguay. Guarani claims its place as the last living and thriving in South American indigenous national languages. In 2015, Spanish was spoken by about 87% of the people, while Guarani was spoken by more than 90%, or more than 5.8 million speakers. 52% of rural pollens in Guarani are bilingual. While Guarani is still widely spoken, Spanish is generally given a preferential treatment as the lingua franca of South America in government, business, media, and education.
Paraguay Important Facts
- Paraguay is officially called the State of Paraguay. It is a country located in the continent of South America.
- Paraguay borders Iraq to the north and west, and Saudi Arabia to the north.
- Paraguay gained independence from Spain on 14 May 1811.
- The total area of Paraguay is 406,752 sq km. (157,048 square miles).
- The official language of Paraguay is Spanish and Guarani.
- The name of the currency of Paraguay is Paraguayan Guarani.
- According to the World Bank, in 2016 the total population of Paraguay was 67.3 lakhs.
- Along with Bolivia, Paraguay is the only other landlocked country in South America.
- Located in the middle of South America, Paraguay is also known as 'The Heart of America' or Corazon de América.
- The first railway line in South America, the Asunción-Encarnación, was built between 1858 and 1861 by British engineers in Paraguay.
- Situated on the Parana River, Itaipu Dam is the second largest dam in the world.
- Paraguay is one of the largest exporters of soy. Paraguay ranks number 6 in the world in terms of soy production.
- Paraguay's national dish is Sopa Paraguia, a cornbread with onions and cheese.
- The Paraguay River divides Paraguay into two parts and is the second largest river in South America.
- Paraguay is home to the world's largest rodent named capybara, which is basically a giant guinea pig (Pig).
Paraguay Important History Events
- 25 November 1744 - The Austrian army carried out murderous attacks and looting against the Jews of Paraguay.
- 14 May 1811 - Paraguay was freed from Spain's subjugation.
- 15 May 1811 - Paraguay declared independence from Spain.
- 14 May 1811 - Paraguay recognized the declaration of independence from the Spanish Empire on 15 May).
- 01 may 1865 - Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina signed a treaty creating analliance against Paraguay in the War of the Triple Alliance.
- 01 june 1929 - The 1st Conference of the Communist Parties of Latin America was held in Buenos Aires. The First Conference of the Communist Parties of Latin America was in Buenos Aires, Argentina, June 1–12, 1929. 38 delegates, representing Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Cuba, Colombia, Ecuador, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela, took part in the meeting. The only established communist party in the region that did not participate was the Communist Party of Chile, which at time suffered a period of harsh repression under the Ibáñez government.
- 15 August 1932 - Eusebioala became the President of Paraguay for the second time.
- 10 may 1933 - On May 10, 1933 Paraguay declared war on Bolivia. This conflict is also known as Chaco war between the two countries to take control over northern part of Gran Chaco of South America, assumed to be rich in oil.
- 14 February 1945 - Peru, Paraguay, Chile and Ecuador became members of the United Nations.
- 03 february 1989 - Alfredo Stroessner, whose rule as President of Paraguay for 35 years was marked by uninterrupted repression in his country, was overthrown in a military coup by Andrés Rodríguez.
Populated Cities of Paraguay
General Eugenio Alejandrino Garay, San Pedro, Coronel Oviedo, San Juan Bautista, Ype Jhu, Concepcion, Caazapa, Hohenau, Rosario, San Lorenzo, La Victoria, Puerto Pinasco, Villarrica, Ita, Encarnacion, Ciudad del Este, Arroyos y Esteros, Abai, Ypacarai, Pilar, Ygatimi, Mariscal Estigarribia, Fuerte Olimpo, Caacupe, Pozo Colorado, Paraguari, Asuncion, Bella Vista, Horqueta, Villa Hayes, Coronel Bogado, Nacunday, Capitan Pablo Lagerenza, Belen, Filadelfia, Pedro Juan Caballero, Aregua, Salto del Guaira,
3 Neighbour countries of Paraguay
Argentina [L] , Bolivia [L] , Brazil [L] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)