International Yoga Day Quick Facts
|International Yoga Day ()
|21 June 2015
|United Nations General Assembly
International Yoga Day Brief
International Yoga Day is celebrated on 21st June by people all over the world. The purpose of this day is to spread awareness about the importance and effects of yoga on the health of people.
International Yoga Day History
On 11 December 2014, India's Permanent Representative Asok Mukherjee introduced the draft resolution to the United Nations General Assembly. The draft text received widespread support from the 177 member states that sponsored the text, which was adopted without a vote. The initiative received support from several global leaders. A total of 177 nations co-sponsored the resolution, which is the highest number of co-sponsors for any UNGA resolution of such nature.
International Yoga Day Objective
International Day of Yoga has been adopted to achieve the following objectives:
- Telling people about the amazing and natural benefits of yoga.
- Connecting people with nature through yoga practice.
- To inculcate the habit of meditation in people through yoga.
- To draw the attention of people all over the world towards the holistic benefits of yoga.
- Reducing the rate of health-challenging diseases around the world.
- Bringing communities closer by taking a day out for health from busy routines.
- To spread growth, development and peace all over the world.
- Helping people in their worst situation by themselves by relieving stress through yoga.
- Strengthening global coordination among people through Yoga.
- To make people aware of physical and mental diseases and to provide its solution through yoga.
- To protect from unhealthy work and to respect and promote good work to create better health.
- To educate people about their right to good health and a healthy lifestyle to fully enjoy a high standard of physical and mental health.
- Linking the relationship between health protection and long-term health development.
- Overcoming all health challenges through regular yoga practice.
- To promote better mental and physical health of the people through yoga practice.
More info about International Yoga Day
Why is celebrate International Yoga Day?
The reason behind making 21st June as International Yoga Day is that this day is the summer solstice. On this day the Sun starts moving from north to south with respect to the earth. That is, the Sun which was till now in front of the Northern Hemisphere, now starts moving towards the Southern Hemisphere. From the yogic perspective, this time is a transition period, that is, a better time for transformation.