World Eye donation Day Quick Facts
|World Eye donation Day ()
World Eye donation Day Brief
Every year, realizing the importance of eye donation in different countries of the world, June 10 is celebrated as "International Sight Donation Day". Through this, awareness of eye donation is spread among the people.
World Eye donation Day Objective
The objective of World Vision Day is to create mass awareness about the importance of eye donation and to inspire people to take an oath to donate their eyes after death.
Blindness is one of the major public health problems in developing countries. According to the World Health Organization, corneal diseases (damage to the cornea, which is the front layer of the eye) are one of the leading causes of vision loss and blindness, after cataracts and glaucoma.
More info about World Eye donation Day
How to take care of your Eyes?
Proper eye care can be done in the following ways:-
- Eat a healthy diet for good eyesight: Eat a balanced diet. Include more and more green leafy vegetables, eggs, beans and carrots in your diet.
- Quit smoking: Smoking can cause cataracts, optic and nerve damage as well as a variety of vision problems.
- Wear UV-protected sunglasses to prevent direct exposure to sunlight: which is better for protecting your eyes.
- Wear safety glasses: If you work with hazardous materials in the workplace, you must wear safety glasses to protect your eyes.
- If you work at a computer for long periods, make sure you wake up frequently. Blink as often as possible to reduce dryness of the eyes.
- Anti-glare glasses: Recommended to wear while watching television or working on a computer.
- Do not read in dim light: This is one of the main reasons for the problems with the eyes.
- To maintain good eye health: Get your eyes checked regularly.
- Try to avoid glare on the computer from windows and lights. If necessary, use anti-glare screens.
- If you wear contact lenses, avoid wearing them for long periods of time: Avoid swimming and sleeping while wearing contact lenses.
There are many reasons why people do not donate their eyes. The number of eye donors in India is very less due to the following reasons:
- Lack of awareness among general public.
- Inadequate facilities in institutions and hospitals.
- Lack of ability to motivate others among trained personnel.
- Social and religious myths.