Kiribati has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Kiribati and important events related to Kiribati history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Kiribati Country Profile
|Currency||kiribati dollar and Australian Dollar|
The area, now called Kiribati, is mainly inhabited by the 16 Gilbert Islands, Austronesian in the same oceanic language that ranged from north to south, including southern Nui, between 3000 BCE and 1300 AD. In the 17th and 18th centuries, when European ships were circling the sea, they got a chance to know the country of Kiribati. And they have since joined this country and during the 19th century a large number of visiting the islands joined the country with labor ships with social, economic, political, religious and cultural consequences. More than 9,000 workers were sent abroad from 1845 to 1895, most of them not returning.
The Gujrati trade gave rise to European, Chinese, Samoan, and other inhabitants from the 1830s They included beaches, castaways, merchants, and missionaries. By 1902 the British Empire had established its suzerainty over the country. On 1 January 1953, the British governor of the colony was moved to the new capital of Honiara, the British Solomon Islands, with Gilbert's Resident Commissioner still headquartered in Tarawa. is. The United Kingdom finally abandoned all claims of the sparsely settled Phoenix and Line Islands in a treaty of friendship with Kiribati (ratified in 1983) in 1979 and became a sovereign state.
Kiribati has 32 atolls and a solitary island, spanning the eastern and western hemispheres, as well as the northern and southern hemispheres. It is the only country located inside all four hemispheres. In terms of its Special Economic Zone, it spans three geographical regions of the Banaba (Melanesian – Micronesian region), the Gilbert Islands (Micronesia) and the Line and the Phoenix Islands (Polynesia). Kiritimati (Christmas Island) in the Line Islands is the largest atoll (An atoll is a ring-shaped coral reef, island, or series of islets.) in the world. The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change predicted that sea level would rise to around 50 cm (20 in) by 2100 due to global warming. Kiribati has a tropical rainforest climate (Af). From April to October, northeast winds blow.
Kiribati has few natural resources and hence this country is considered as one of the least developed countries in the world. In one form or another, Kiribati receives a large proportion of income from abroad. Examples include fishing licenses, development assistance, dispatch of workers, especially seafarers issued from maritime training centers and some tourists. Given Kiribati's limited domestic production capacity, it imports all its essential foods and manufactured goods. Air Kiribati and Coral Sun Airways are the two domestic airlines of Kiribati. Both airlines are based at the Bonariki International Airport in Tarawa and only serve destinations in the Gilbert Islands Banba and Phoenix Islands are not served by domestic carriers.
The people of Kiribati speak Gilberus, an Oceanic language. English is the second official language, but is not used very often outside the island capital of South Tarwa. The older generation of i-Kiribati uses more complex versions of the language. For example, many of Gilberger's words have been adopted by European colonists.
Kiribati Important Facts
- Kiribati, officially called the Republic of Kiribati, is an island nation in the Central Pacific Ocean.
- Kiribati gained independence from the United Kingdom (UK) on 12 July 1979.
- The total area of Kiribati is 811 sq km. (313 sq mi).
- The national languages of Kiribati are English and Gilbertese.
- The currencies of Kiribati are named Kiribati Dollars and Australian Dollars.
- According to the World Bank, the total population of Kiribati in 2016 was 1.14 lakh.
- More than 90% of the population of Kiribati prefers to live on Gilbert Islands.
- In Kiribati, the religion of most people is Christian.
- Kiribati was declared a full member of the United Nations in 1999.
- Kiribati is the only nation in the world located in all the four hemispheres of the world (North, South, East and West).
- The national bird of Kiribati is the frigate bird.
- The national drink of Kiribati is Toddy.
- The national flower of Kiribati is Plumeria Frangipanis Flowers.
- The climate of Kiribati is a tropical climate where the weather is hot and humid which is controlled by commercial winds.
Kiribati Important History Events
- 12 july 1979 - Kiribati became independent from United Kingdom. It is an island country. It is situated in central Pacific Ocean. It is comprised of 33 different types of islands and reefs. South Tarawa is the capital of country.
- 25 june 1999 - United Nations Security Council: Resolutions 1248 and 1249 were adopted. United Nations Security Council resolution 1248 and 1249 were adopted after examining the applications from Republic of Kiribati and Republic of Nauru for membership in the United Nations.
- 14 September 1999 - Kiribati, Nauru and Tonga joined the United States.
- 13 january 2012 - The Island nation of Kiribati re-elects President. Anote Tong to a third term with over 42% of the vote.
Populated Cities of Kiribati
6 Neighbour countries of Kiribati
France [M] , Marshall Islands [M] , Nauru [M] , New Zealand [M] , Tuvalu [M] , United States of America [M] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)