Republic of Djibouti History, Geography, Economy and Important Events

✅ Published on January 24th, 2021 in Africa Continent, Country Information

Republic of Djibouti has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Republic of Djibouti and important events related to Republic of Djibouti history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.

Republic of Djibouti Country Profile

CountryRepublic of Djibouti
CapitalGabuutih Ummuuno
CurrencyDjiboutian franc
ContinentAfrica
GroupAfrican Union, Arab League
FormationJune 27, 1977

Republic of Djibouti History

At the end of the 19th century, the colony of French Somaliland was established after treaties signed by the ruling Somali and Afar sultans, with the French and its railroad by Dyer Dawa (and later Addis Ababa) as the port of southern Ethiopia Zila was allowed to cross quickly. In 1967 it was later changed to the French Territory Officers and Issas. A decade later, the people of Djibouti voted for independence. This officially marked the founding of the Republic of Djibouti, which was named after its capital city.

Republic of Djibouti Geography

Djibouti is located in the Gulf of Aden at the southern entrance of the Red Sea and the Horn of Africa on Bab-al-Mandab. Djibouti has eight mountain ranges with 1,000-meter (3,300 ft) peaks. The Moose Ali Range is considered to be the highest mountain range in the country, with the highest peak on the border of Ethiopia and Eritrea. Its height is 2,028 meters (6,654 ft). The majority of Djibouti occurs in the area of ​​Ethiopian Xeric grasslands and shrubs. The exception is an eastern strip located along the Red Sea coast, part of the coastal desert of Eritrea.

Republic of Djibouti Economy

Djibouti's economy is largely concentrated in the service sector. Commercial activities revolve around the country's free trade policies and strategic location as red sea transit points. Due to limited rainfall, vegetables and fruits are major production crops, and other food items require imports. GDP (purchasing power parity) was estimated at $ 2.505 billion in 2013, with an annual growth rate of 5%. The per capita income is approximately $ 2,874 (PPP). The services sector constituted around 79.7% of GDP, industry at 17.3%, and agriculture at 3%.

Republic of Djibouti Language

Djibouti is a multilingual nation. Most of the local residents speak Somali and Afar as first languages. These idioms are the mother tongues of the Somali and Afar ethnic groups respectively. Both languages belong to a large Afroasiatic Cushitic family. Djibouti has two official languages: Arabic and French.

Republic of Djibouti Important Facts

  • Djibouti lies to the east of Africa, borders Ethiopia to the west and south, Eritrea to the north, Somalia or the Red Sea to the southeast, and the Gulf of Aden.
  • Djibouti gained independence from France on 27 June 1977. It ruled France from 1894 to 1977, at which time it was called French Somaliland.
  • The total area of ​​Djibouti is 23,200 square kilometers. (8,958 square miles).
  • The name of the currency of Djibouti is the Djiboutian Franc.
  • The official languages ​​of Djibouti are Arabic and French and Afar is a Somali recognized regional language.
  • According to the World Bank, the total population of Djibouti in 2016 is 942,333.
  • The population of Djibouti is predominantly Muslim, with about 94% of the country's population believing Islam, while the remaining 6% of the inhabitants are Christian.
  • Djibouti is the tallest mountain in the country, Musa Ali, which has an altitude of 2,028 meters.
  • Lake Assal, the lake of Djibouti, is the saltiest lake. It is also saltier than the Dead Sea.
  • The largest island of Djibouti is Moucha Island with an area of ​​3.994 sq km. (1.542 sq mi).
  • The national animal of Djibouti is elk.
  • The Djiboutian civil war lasted from November 1991 to December 1994, also known as the Afar rebellion.
  • The Djibouti flag was officially adopted on June 27, 1977, with the blue color symbolizing the unity of the Issa (Somali) people, the green color of the Afar people and the red star in the white triangle.

Republic of Djibouti Important History Events

  • 27 june 1977 - France granted freedom to Djibouti. Republic of Djibouti is a country located in the Horn of Africa. It is bordered by Eritrea in the north, Ethiopia in the west and south, and Somalia in the southeast. The remainder of the border is formed by the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden at the east.

4 Neighbour countries of Republic of Djibouti

Eritrea [LM] , Ethiopia [L] , Somalia [LM] , Yemen [M] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)

« Previous
Next »