Comoros has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Comoros and important events related to Comoros history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Comoros Country Profile
|Group||African Union, Arab League|
|Formation||July 6, 1975|
The history of the Comoros dates back to around 1000 BCE when the archipelago was first inhabited. The Comoros is currently inhabited by various groups. France colonized the islands in the 19th century and in 1975 the people became independent.
Comoros is an island country located between northern Madagascar and northeast Mozambique at the eastern end of Africa in the Indian Ocean. It is the third smallest country in terms of area and the sixth smallest in terms of population in the continent of Africa, but the population density is very high. The name of the country of Comoros, which belongs to the Arab world, is derived from the Arabic word Quamar (Chand). This country with four large and other small islands has a different place in the world due to the diversity of the environment.
Comoros have higher poverty levels, but given the international poverty threshold of $ 1.9 per person per day, only two out of every ten Comorians can be classified as poor, leading Comoros to other low-income keeps. Poverty has declined by about 10% between 2014 and 2018, and economic inequality is on a large scale, with a large gap between rural and urban areas.
The most common languages in Comoros are the Comorian language, collectively known as Shikomori. They belong to Swahili, and four different variants (Shingazija, Shimwali, Shindzuani, and Shimore) are spoken on each of the four islands. Both Arabic and Latin scripts are used, Arabic is more widely used, and recently an official orthography has been developed for the Latin script.
Comoros Important Facts
- Comoros is an island nation located in the Indian Ocean between northern Madagascar and northeastern Mozambique at the eastern end of Africa, whose official name is the Union of Comoros, which derives from the Arabic word Quamar (Chand).
- The Comoros gained independence from France on 6 July 1975.
- The total area of the Comoros is 1,862 sq km. (719 square miles).
- According to the World Bank the population of Comoros in 2016 is 7.96 lakhs.
- The Comoros currency is named Comorian Franc.
- The three main official languages of Comoros are Arabic, Shikomori and French.
- The Comoros national dish is Langouste.
- The highest point of the Comoros is Mount Karthla (Karthola), an active volcano with an altitude of 2,361 m (7,746 ft).
- The neighboring countries of Comoros include Tanzania, Seychelles, Mozambique and Madagascar.
- Islam is the religion of most people of the Comoros country. Sunni Muslims constitute 98% of the total population here. The entire country contains Arab culture, but Christianity is prominent among the immigrants from France, mainly Roman Catholics.
- The country of Comoros adopted its flag on 7 January 2002 with fifties, stars and colored green triangles symbolizing Islam, and horizontal stripes and four stars representing the island country of Mwali, Najazida, Najwai and Mayotte.
Comoros Important History Events
- 22 december 1974 - Grande Comore, Anjouan and Mohéli voted to become the independent nation of the Comoros.
- 06 july 1975 - The Comoros announced its independence from France. Comoros is small nation made up of groups of many small islands. It is situated in Indian Ocean at Mozambique Channel which is near African continent.
- 29 june 1976 - The Seychelles became independent from the United Kingdom. Seychelles , officially the Republic of Seychelles is an archipelago in the Indian Ocean. The 115-island country, whose capital is Victoria, lies 1,500 kilometres (932 mi) east of mainland Southeast Africa. Other nearby island countries and territories include Zanzibar to the west and Comoros, Mayotte, Madagascar, Réunion, and Mauritius to the south.
- 28 september 1995 - Over 30 mercenaries led by Bob Denard landed on the Comoros inan attempted coup, his fourth one on the African island nation since1975.
- 23 november 1996 - Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 was hijacked, then crashed intothe Indian Ocean near Comoros after running out of fuel, killing 125 ofthe 175 people on board.
Populated Cities of Comoros
5 Neighbour countries of Comoros
France [M] , Madagascar [M] , Mozambique [M] , Seychelles [M] , Tanzania [M] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)