Republic of the Congo has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Republic of the Congo and important events related to Republic of the Congo history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Republic of the Congo Country Profile
|Country||Republic of the Congo|
|Formation||August 15, 1960|
Republic of the Congo History
The region was dominated by Bantu-speaking tribes at least 3,000 years ago, who built the leading trade links in the Congo River Basin. The Congo was formerly part of the French colony of Equatorial Africa. The Republic of Congo was founded on 28 November 1958 and gained independence from France in 1960. It was a Marxist-Leninist state from 1969 to 1992, named the People's Republic of Congo.
Republic of the Congo Geography
Congo is located in the mid-western part of Sub-Saharan Africa, with the Democratic Republic of Congo to its south and east. It is also bounded by Gabon in the west, Cameroon and Central African Republic in the north and Cabinda (Angola) in the southwest. It has a small coast on the Atlantic Ocean. The capital, Brezzaville, is located on the Congo River, in the south of the country, some distance from Kinshasa, the capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Republic of the Congo Economy
The Republic of Congo has become the fourth largest oil producer in the Gulf of Guinea, giving the country a degree of prosperity and uneven distribution of oil revenues across the country, despite political and economic instability in some regions. The Congo's economy is heavily dependent on the oil sector, and economic growth has slowed significantly since the 2015 oil price drop.
Republic of the Congo Language
The population of the Republic of Congo is ethnically and linguistically diverse, with 62 spoken languages being recognized in the country but can be divided into three categories. The Congo is the largest ethnic group and constitutes about half of the population.
Republic of the Congo Important Facts
- The Republic of Congo is located in the middle of Africa, its borders are Gabon, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Congo Democratic Republic, the Angolan outskirts of Kabinda and the Gulf of Guinea.
- On 15 August 1960, the Republic of Congo gained full independence from France.
- The official language of the Republic of Congo is French and the recognized regional languages are Congo or Kituba and Lingala.
- The total area of the Republic of Congo is 342,000 sq km. (132,047 sq mi).
- The currency of the Republic of the Congo is named the Central African CFA Franc.
- The highest mountain in the Republic of Congo is Nabemba, which has an altitude of 1,020 meters.
- According to the World Bank Report 2016, the total population of the Republic of Congo is 51.3 lakh.
- Dioso Gorge, also known as the Grand Canyon of the Congo, is surrounded by red rocks and rainforests.
- The Congo has a tropical climate, which is filled with high temperatures and humidity, especially near the equator.
- The yellow stripe in the Congo flag is a symbol of friendship and the nobility of the Congolese people; the green stripe symbolizes agriculture and prosperous forests, and the red stripe symbolizes the struggle and bloodshed of freedom.
Republic of the Congo Important History Events
- 27 october 1971 - The DRC (Democratic Republic of the Congo) has been rechristened Zaire.
- 08 february 1979 - Denis Sassou Nguesso was chosen as the new President of the Republic of the Congo after Joachim Yhombi-Opango was forced from power.
- 08 november 2008 - Ban Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the United Nations arranges a meeting with the leaders of Africa to discuss and deliberate resolutions to the current Kivu conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- 18 november 2008 - War crimes are conveyed in the Nord-Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of the Congo after a truce is broken and fighting recommences, leading to the death of at least 100 civilians.
- 09 december 2008 - The peace talks between the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the National Congress for the Defense of the People that are to be arbitrated by the United Nations have begun.
- 24 december 2008 - The Lord's Resistance Army, a Ugandan rebel group, began attacks on several villages in Haut-Uele District, Democratic Republic Of the Congo, resulting in at least 400 deaths and numerous atrocities.
- 27 january 2012 - The main opposition leader of the Democratic Republic of the Congo condemns parliamentary election as rigged. He calls for a strike in protest of his house arrest.
5 Neighbour countries of Republic of the Congo
Angola [LM] , Cameroon [L] , Central African Republic [L] , Democratic Republic of the Congo [LM] , Gabon [LM] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)