Armenia has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Armenia and important events related to Armenia history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Armenia Country Profile
Armenia is a mountainous country located in the Caucasus region of West Asia and Europe surrounded by land. Before 1990 it was a part of the Soviet Union as a state. Armenia was granted independence on 23 August 1990 after a people's revolution in the Soviet Union and the struggle for independence of the states, but its establishment was announced on 21 September 1991 and received international recognition on 25 December. Its capital is Yerevan.
Armenia has a total area of 29,800 km with 4.71% of its aquatic area. It is estimated (July 2008) that the population here is 32,31,900 and the square km density is 101 persons. It borders Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Iran. Today, more than 97.9 percent of the Armenian ethnic community is inhabited by 1.3% Yazidi, 0.5% Russian and other minorities.
10.6% of its population lives below the international poverty line (USD 1.25 per day). Armenia is a member of more than 40 international organizations. In this, the United Nations, Council of Europe, Asian Development Bank, Commonwealth of Independent Countries, World Trade Organization and Non-Aligned Organization, etc. are prominent.
Armenian is the only official language. The main foreign languages that Armenian knows are Russian and English. Due to its Soviet past, most of the older population can speak Russian quite well. According to a 2013 survey, 95% of Armenians said they had some knowledge of Russian (24% advanced, 59% intermediate), compared to 40% who stated that they had some English (4% advanced, 16% intermediate and 20% early) knew. However, more adults (50%) feel that English should be taught in public secondary schools that (44%) prefer Russian.
Armenia Important Facts
- Armenia is a mountainous country located in the Caucasus region of Europe. Yerevan is its capital and the country's largest city.
- Armenia is officially called the Republic of Armenia.
- Armenia borders Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Iran.
- Before independence in 1991, the people of Armenia lived under Ottoman and Russian rule and the country was a part of the Soviet Union.
- Armenia granted independence from the Soviet Union on 23 August 1990, but the declaration of the establishment of Armenia came on 21 September 1991 and it received international recognition on 25 December.
- The King of Armenia converted to Christianity in the fourth century itself. Thus Armenia is the first country to receive Christianity.
- According to the World Bank, the total population of Armenia in 2016 was 29.2 lakhs.
- The total area of Armenia is 29,743 km2 (11,484 sq mi)).
- Armenia politics takes place in the framework of a semi-presidential representative democratic republic.
- Armenian is the only official language. The main foreign languages of Armenians are Russian and English.
- The currency of Armenia is named Dram.
- The national symbol of the country is Mount Ararat.
- More than 97.9 percent of the people belong to the Armenian ethnic community, apart from 1.3% from the Yizidi community, 0.5% of the Russian community and other minorities.
- The first Armenian film with the Armenian theme which was Hayakkan Cinema was made in 1912.
Armenia Important History Events
- 26 may 451 - Armenian rebels were defeated by forces of the Sassanid Empireon the Avarayr Plain in Vaspurakan, but the loss played a major factorin their being granted religious freedom 33 years later.
- 25 april 775 - Forces of the Abbasid Caliphate crushed those of rebelling Armenian princes in the Battle of Bagrevand.
- 14 april 1909 - Following a military revolt against the constitutional government, a mob began a massacre of Armenians in Adana Vilayet, Ottoman Empire.
- 24 april 1915 - The Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire began with thearrest and deportation of hundreds of prominent Armenians in Constantinople.
- 28 may 1918 - The Azerbaijan Democratic Republic and the First Republic of Armenia declare their independence. The First Republic of Armenia, known at the time of its existence as the Republic of Armenia was the first modern Armenian state since the fall of the Kingdom of Cilicia in 1375.
- 24 February 1918 - The city of Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia Trio gained independence from Russia in the form of the Transascogenic Democratic Federal Republic.
- 20 march 1919 - The Turkish War of Independence took place on May 19, 1919 between the Turkish nationalists and the Allies Greece, Armenia, France and Great Britain on three different fronts namely the Western front, the Eastern front and the Southern front. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk led the Turkish movement and defeated the forces of Allies.
- 20 may 1919 - The Turkish War of Independence took place on May 19, 1919 between the Turkish nationalists and the Allies Greece, Armenia, France and Great Britain on three different fronts namely the Western front, the Eastern front and the Southern front. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk led the Turkish movement and defeated the forces of Allies.
- 05 December 1919 - Turkey's Ministry of War removed military service to Greeks, Armenians and Jews.
- 22 march 1920 - A pogrom in Shusha, Nagorno-Karabakh, by Azeris destroyed the Armenian-populated portions of the town.
Populated Cities of Armenia
Yeghegnadzor, Gavarr, Artashat, Ashtarak, Gyumri, Ijevan, Yerevan, Vanadzor, Hrazdan, Armavir, Kapan, Ijevan,