Cambodia has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Cambodia and important events related to Cambodia history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Cambodia Country Profile
Cambose is the ancient Sanskrit name of Cambodia. The earliest Indian colony in the erstwhile Indochina peninsula was established around the first century AD in Funan region. For nearly 600 years, Funan propagated and spread Hindu culture in this region. The great state of Kamboj has been established. According to ancient legends of Kamboj, the foundation of this colony was laid by King Kambu Swayambhuva of 'Aryadesh'. He came to the country of Kambose under the inspiration of Lord Shiva and with the help of the king of the Naga caste settled here, he established a new kingdom in this wild desert which culminated in the lush, beautiful region with the wonderful magic of Nagraj. Kambu married Nagaraj's daughter Mera and laid the foundation of Kambuj dynasty.
In the fifteenth century, following the rebellion of Ayutya, which had previously been ruled by the Khmer Empire, Cambodia experienced a decline of power, while its neighbors Vietnam and Thailand strengthened. In 1863, Cambodia became a protector of France, and was later incorporated into the French Indochina of Southeast Asia.
Cambodia gained independence from France in 1953. The Vietnam War expanded into the country in 1965 with the expansion of the Ho Chi Minh Trail and the establishment of the Sihanouk Trail.
The total area of Cambodia is 181,035 square kilometers (69,898 square miles). It borders Thailand to the north and west, Laos to the north-east, and Vietnam to the east and southeast. Cambodia's climate, like the rest of Southeast Asia, is on the monsoon, which is known as tropical wet and dry due to varying seasonal differences. According to the International Development Research Center and the United Nations, Cambodia is considered the most vulnerable country in Southeast Asia to the effects of climate change, along with the Philippines. Cambodia has two distinct seasons. The rainy season, which runs from May to October, is generally accompanied by high humidity. The dry season lasts from November to April. Cambodia's biodiversity is largely set on its seasonal tropical forests, with some 180 recorded tree species and riparian ecosystems.
Cambodia's per capita income in 2017 is $ 4,022 in PPP and $ 1,309 per capita. The United Nations designates Cambodia as the least developed country. Most of the rural households are dependent on agriculture and its related sub-sectors. Rice, fish, wood, textiles and rubber are the major exports of Cambodia. Based on the economist, IMF, the annual average GDP growth was 7.7% and is one of the top ten countries in the world, with the highest annual average GDP growth rate. Tourism was Cambodia's fastest growing industry, with arrivals inflation being 1.7% in 2004 and exports of US $ 1.6 billion.
French, once the language of government in Indochina, and is still spoken by many older Cambodians, and also the language of instruction in some schools and universities funded by the French government. There is also a French-language newspaper and some TV channels are available in French. Cambodia is a member of La Francophonie. Cambodian French, a relic of the country's colonial past, is a dialect found in Cambodia and sometimes used in government, especially in court. Since 1993, the use of English has been increasing, replacing French as the main foreign language.
Cambodia Important Facts
- Cambodia, officially called the Monarchy of Cambodia, is located in South-East Asia.
- Cambodia was formerly known as Kampuchea, bordering Myanmar in the northwest, the Gulf of Thailand in the north, Laos in the north, and Vietnam in the northeast and south.
- Cambodia gained independence from France on 9 November 1953, when it was a patron nation under France.
- The current king (ruler) of Cambodia is named Norodom Sihamoni who has held the post of king here since 2004.
- The total area of Cambodia is 181,035 sq km. (69,898 sq mi).
- The official language of Cambodia is Khmer.
- The name of the currency of Cambodia is reel.
- According to the World Bank, the total population of Cambodia in 2016 was 1.58 crore.
- The religion of most people in Cambodia is Buddhism, which is the official national religion there.
- The most important ethnic groups in Cambodia are the Khmer and the Chams.
- The highest peak in Cambodia is Phnom, which has a height of 1,813 meters.
- The longest river in Cambodia is the Mekong River, with a length of 4,350 km.
- Cambodia's national animals are the kouprey and the national bird giant ibis.
- The United States also invaded Cambodia during the Vietnam War (1963 to 1973).
- The oldest temple of Hinduism in Cambodia is situated Angkor Wat, which is the largest religious monument in the world.
Cambodia Important History Events
- 09 November 1953 - Cambodia became independent from France.
- 09 November 1953 - Cambodia became independent from France.
- 31 august 1959 - A parcel bomb sent by Ngô Ðình Nhu, younger brother andchief adviser of South Vietnamese President Ngô Ðình Di?m, failedto kill Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia.
- 01 September 1967 - The Khmer-Chinese Friendship Association was banned in Cambodia.
- 29 april 1970 - Vietnam War-The South Vietnamese Army launched incursions into Cambodia to attack communist jungle bases.
- 04 may 1970 - The Ohio National Guard opened fire at Kent State University Students protesting the United States invasion of Cambodia, killing fourand injuring nine.
- 09 october 1970 - The Khmer Republic, headed by General Lon Nol and Prince Sisowath Sirik Matak, was proclaimed in Cambodia.
- 17 april 1975 - The Khmer Rouge under Pol Pot captured Phnom Penh, ending the Cambodian Civil War, and established Democratic Kampuchea.
- 12 may 1975 - The Mayaguez incident, the last official battle of the Vietnam between the Kingdom of Cambodia and the United States, took place on May 12, 1975 as the American container ship SS Mayaguez was seized by Cambodian forces.
- 12 may 1975 - The Cambodian navy seized the American container ship SSMayaguez in recognized international waters, but claimed as territorialwaters by Cambodia.
Populated Cities of Cambodia
Kampong Cham, Senmonorom, Kompong Chhnang, Prey Veng, Pursat, Sisophon, Kampot, Kampong Spoe, Krong Koh Kong, Stoeng Treng, Phnum Tbeng Meanchey, Svay Rieng, Kracheh, Kampong Thum, Lumphat, Battambang, Takeo, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Krong Kep, Suong, Ta Khmau, Sihanoukville, Samraong, Banlung, Pailin, Kampong Thom,
4 Neighbour countries of Cambodia
Laos [L] , Malaysia [LM] , Thailand [LM] , Vietnam [LM] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)