Laos has a different place in the geography of the world. There are many things in this country that differentiate this country from other countries such as language, living, clothing, culture, religion, business. Lets learn about some such unique facts related to the Laos and important events related to Laos history, knowing that your knowledge will increase.
Laos Country Profile
Present-day Laos traced its historical and cultural identity to Lan Zang, one of the largest states in Southeast Asia from the 14th century to the 18th century. Due to its central geographical location in Southeast Asia, the state became a center for overland trade, and became economically and culturally prosperous. Laos became independent in 1953 with the constitutional monarchy under Siswang Wong.
Laos is the only landlocked country in Southeast Asia. Its densely forested landscape consists mostly of rugged mountains, the highest of which are some plains and plateaus at 2,818 meters (9,245 ft). Laos has a mostly tropical savanna climate. Tropical monsoons and humid subtropical climates also occur in places. Laos is sensitive to climate change and almost all the provinces of the country are "at high risk from climate change."
The economy of Laos depends on investment and trade in its neighbors, Thailand, Vietnam, and especially in the north, China. In 2016, China was the largest foreign investor in Laos' economy, having invested US $ 5.395 billion since 1989, according to the Laos Ministry of Planning and Investment 1989–2014 report. Thailand (US $ 4.489 billion investment) and Vietnam (US $ 3.108 billion investment) are the second and third largest investors, respectively. Laos is rich in mineral resources and imports petroleum and gas.
The official and majority language is Lao, which is the language of the Tai-Kadai language family. However, only more than half the population speaks Lao as native. The rest, especially in rural areas, speak ethnic minority languages. Languages such as Khamu (Austroasiatic) and Hmong (Hmong-mien) are spoken by minorities, especially in the Midland and Highland regions.
Laos Important Facts
- Laos is officially called the People's Democratic Republic of Laos which is located in the east of South Asia, it is called the land of thousand elephants.
- Laos borders Cambodia to the east, Thailand to the west, Vietnam to the south and Myanmar and China to the northwest.
- Laos gained independence from France on 19 July 1949.
- The total area of Laos is 2,36,800 sq km. (91,429 sq mi) in which about 2/3 part is covered with forests.
- Lao is the official language of Laos.
- The currency of Laos is named Kip.
- According to the World Bank, Laos had a total population of 6.76 million in 2016.
- Buddhism is the religion of most people in Laos.
- The important ethnic groups in Laos are Lao, Khamu, Hmong and Fouthe.
- Laos has a tropical climate where April is the wettest month. The average temperature in Laos varies from 22 ° C to 34 ° C.
- The highest mountain in Laos is Phou Bia, which has a height of 2,819 meters.
- The largest river of Laos is Mekong, which is 4,350 km in length.
- The national animal of Laos is the Indian elephant.
- The national dish of Laos is larb.
- Laos has an official nationwide midnight curfew that is applied not to the people but to their businesses.
Laos Important History Events
- 24 December 1954 - Laos was liberated by France.
- 29 march 1973 - Vietnam War-The United States ended Operation Barrel Roll, covert bombing campaign in Laos to help stem an increasing tired of People's Army of Vietnam and Pathet Lao offensives.
- 15 may 1997 - During the dedication of the Laos Memorial in Arlington National Cemetery, the United States first publicly acknowledged its role in the Laotian Civil War, which had ended 22 years earlier.
- 03 june 2007 - A 6.4 magnitude earthquake strikes southern China near the Myanmar and Laos borders, causing casualties.
- 16 October 2013 - The crash of a Lao Airlines plane killed 49 people shortly before landing at Pakse International Airport in the South East Asian country of Laos.
Populated Cities of Laos
Savannakhet, Thakhek, Vientiane, Ban Houayxay, Phongsali, Saravan, Xiangkhoang, Attapu, Xam Nua, Louang Namtha, Xaignabouri, Champasak, Louangphrabang, Pakxe, Lamam, Muang Pakxan, Muang Phon-Hong, Muang Xai, Muang Phonsavan,
5 Neighbour countries of Laos
Cambodia [L] , China [L] , Myanmar [L] , Thailand [L] , Vietnam [L] ,
International Border Definition: L = Land Border (भूमि सीमा)| M = Maritime Border (समुद्री सीमा)